Location: South Africa–>Kruger National Park–>Kruger Park Private Concessions
Accommodation Type: Lodge
Hoyo Hoyo Lodge is located in the 10 000 hectare Imbali concession found in the centre of the Kruger National park. The region is rich in Shangaan history and culture, which is reflected in the traditional Tsonga-style lodge. Hoyo Hoyo seamlessly combines luxury with ethnicity, elegance with rusticity, and modern-day opulence with traditional temperance, which allows guests to experience the lifestyle and culture of the locals.
Located on the path of an ancient elephant route on the Mluwati River, the earthy coloured lodge blends harmoniously with the landscape. The breathtaking lodge exudes welcoming warmth, and flawless service ensures a magnificent safari experience.
The innovative Hoyo Hoyo Lodge accommodates a maximum of 12 guests in 6 luxurious traditional ‘beehive’ suites. Spaced for privacy, the thatched cylindrical suites nestle beneath the shade of ancient giant fig and leadwood trees. Fabrics and décor are sourced from the local Tsonga community.
The suites have en-suite bathrooms with stone baths and outside showers, and expansive private game-viewing decks with gorgeous views onto the river and the game-filled plains beyond.
The main area of Hoyo Hoyo Lodge centres around a sunken fire pit, surrounded by a circular timber deck with magnificent views of the waterhole and surrounding savannah. The spacious and comfortable lounge and dining rooms, each with large fireplaces, reflect the flowing circular shapes of the suites. The rim-flow swimming pool is the perfect spot to chill-off, with drinks served in an authentic calabash.
A healer or ‘nanga’ plays an important role at the Lodge, providing guests with a fascinating glimpse into the history of the Tsonga people. Staff, in traditional Tsonga dress, entertains with storytelling, song and dance around the fire at night. Meals are a highlight at Hoyo Hoyo, with a fusion of traditional fare and European flair.
Experienced rangers lead early morning and late afternoon game drives in open game-viewing vehicles. Alternatively, guests may head out on self-drive game drives.
If required, Hoyo Hoyo can accommodate a maximum of 12 delegates in an informal conference set-up. Relaxing spa treatments are available on request and can be enjoyed in the privacy of the guest suites.
- SA Express from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit
- SA Airlink from Cape Town to Hoedspruit
- SA Airlink from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit
- Private Charters available to private airstrip, lodge will do transfer
- After departing from Johannesburg International Airport
- Take the R21 highway towards Pretoria (North)
- Before Pretoria, take the N4 highway East
- Turnoff at Belfast, take the R540 towards Dullstroom (approximately 37km)
- At Dullstroom, take the R540 towards Lydenburg (approximately 43km)
- At Lydenburg, take the R36 towards Ohrigstad (approximately 62km)
- At Ohrigstad, take the R527 towards Hoedspruit (Note: You will pass through the JG Strijdom Tunnel)
- 16km before Hoedspruit at the Swadini Reptile Centre, turn right onto the R531 towards Klaserie
- After approximately 30km, turn left onto the Orpen Gate Road (R531)
- After 40km you will reach the Orpen Gate of the Kruger National Park
From the Orpen Gate -
- Take the H7 towards Satara
- Drive for approximately 6.7km
- Turn right onto the S106 (Dirt Road)
- After 1.6km, turn right onto the S140 towards Talamati
- After 19.5km, turn right onto the S145
- Continue along the S145 for 10km till you see the Hoyo Hoyo sign, turn right
- After 3.5km you will reach a T-junction which is signposted, turn right
- Continue along this road for 4km and you will find Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga Lodge
Please note: you will need to pay a gate entrance fee of R160 per vehicle and R40 per person. Entrance through this gate should be no later than 16:00 else a late permit will be required. The entrance fee can only be confirmed at the time of making your reservation (Prices subject to change)
GPS: -24.599444 (latitude) 31.596667 (longitude)
|STANDARD ROOMS||1 Jan – 31 Dec 2015|
|Per person per night sharing||R3290|
|Per person per night single||R4935|
- Rates are quoted per person per night and are inclusive of accommodation, three meals, two game activities and VAT at 14%
- Rates exclude transfers, beverages and park entry fees which are currently R62.00 per person per stay, subject to change
- Children of 8 years of age and over are charged the full adult rate
- All extras to be settled directly on departure
- Complimentary transfers from Hoedspruit or Skukuza Airports with the Imbali transfer vehicle, subject to availability at time of reservation. (Valid for FIT bookings only and must be pre-booked at time of reservation.)
- The transfer from Skukuza Airport to the three safari lodges is approximately 60km, with a drive time of 1.5 hours depending on game viewing stops along the way. Transfers from Hoedspruit Airport are approximately 1.5 hours with an hour of that being inside the Kruger.
- Beverage Supplement: R 360.00 per person per day, includes soft drinks, local beers, local spirits and wines. Imported beverages are not included.
0 – 7 years – Not permitted at the lodge
8 years and older – Considered as adults and accommodated in their own rooms. Pay full adult rates and are permitted on game drive.
Triple Sharing – Not applicable, rooms accommodate a maximum of 2 persons
Please check the visa requirements before your visit.
Hoyo Hoyo is situated in a Malaria area and it is advised to consult a medical professional regarding appropriate medication before your trip.
Hoyo Hoyo welcomes children over the age of 8 years. On game drives, children aged between 8 and 12 years are allocated a separate vehicle with their parents, and have separately catered dinners. Children pay the full adult rate and will be accommodated in their own rooms.
Parents must accompany children at all times, as the camp is unfenced and wildlife moves freely throughout the camp.