Pungwe Bush Camp
Location: South Africa–>Kruger National Park–>Manyeleti Game Reserve
Accommodation Type: Lodge
Good For:: Couple/Romantic, Family, Solo
The culturally significant Manyeleti Private Game Reserve occupies a prime ecological position, sharing unfenced borders and a wandering population of wild and wonderful animals with the Kruger, Sabi Sands, and Timbavati Game Reserves. Occupied and operated by the resident Mnisi tribe of the area, who themselves share generations worth of history with the area, and who now remain committed to promoting and protecting this exquisite summer paradise.
Pungwe Bush Camp is Manyeleti’s exclusive introduction to the magic and wild of the bush – a crisp, rustic environment, accentuated by the early morning bustle of Pungwe residents taking to the bush. Pungwe is a home-bound, traditional destination, where meals are still prepared over an open fire, and the thatched dining room plays an important part in the conversation, as guests soak in the amber glow of the setting sun.
Isolated from the flow of mainstream tourism in the area, Pungwe Bush Camp is a welcome seclusion, lost in the romantic haze of the beautiful Manyeleti Game Reserve – a timeless safari experience.
Pungwe Bush Camp offers accommodation in a series of quaint and cozy thatch roofed huts, complete with waterborne toilets, and hot and cold showers in en-suite bathrooms, tea and coffee making facilities, and scenic verandas attached to each room.
- From Johannesburg (R22), proceed towards Belfast.
- Exit the N4 at the Belfast intersection, enter the town and turn right at the second stop sign in the direction of Dullstroom (R540).
- Continue to Lyndenburg via Dullstrrom. In Lyndenburg turn left and take the R36 to Orighstad.
- Continue in the direction of Hoedspruit via the Abel Erasmus Pass and the JG Stijdom Tunnel.
- Shortly after crossing the Blyde River, turn right in the direction of Orpen (R531).
- Continue past the Klaserie turn-off to the Orpen Gate signpost.
- Turn left at the Orpen Gate signpost and continue until you see the Manyeleti Reserve sign which is just after the 10km sign for Orpen.
- Turn right, enter the reserve and follow African Ivory Route signs together with the Pungwe signs.
- Just stick to the main road. You will pass the African Ivory Route camp at a certain point; from there just follow the Pungwe signs.
- Pungwe is about 30km from the gate where you entered.
- OR Tambo International Johannesburg – Hoedspruit Airport
- Cape Town International – Hoedspruit Airport
GPS: -24.667219 (latitude), 31.500286 (longitude)
|01 Jan 2013 – 31 Dec 2014|
Prices at Elephant Plains include accommodation, three meals per day, morning and evening game drives, tea and coffee making facilities, and the mandatory tourism levy.